23 August 2011

Smart enough to be dangerous


So, this morning, I decide to visit the Weber County Main Library in Ogden, Utah. Not much in that decision, just wanted a change of view form my normal job-hunt location of the sun porch.

Laptop in tow...check.
Ensconced at a study carrel...check.
All plugged in and ready to go...check.
Library WiFi connected with Internet access...check.

Of course, we know where this is heading.

Yep, I could not access the WiFi log in page, let alone anything on the 'net beyond the firewall. I had this problem the last time I visited a Weber County library, but we resolved that issue.

This is where the dangerous part comes in. We may have fixed the hard-coded DNS issue before, but I blithely presumed that that fix had been permanent. I tried everything else to rectify the problem only to admit I was stumped why this should happen again.

The tech-savvy library assistant came over to my carrel at my request, clicked a few system links, tapped a few keys and located the hard-coded issue.

HA! I can laugh now at myself. As I said, "Smart enough to be dangerous." After all, I was in the IT industry for 12 years.

No comments: